Office of the Provincial Government of Lower Austria, Department of Arts and Culture
A-3109 St. Pölten, Landhausplatz 1
Andreas Geringer (photo documentation, storage, transports and handling)
Gerhard Ploiner (transports and handling)
Mag. Christian Dietrich
The Landesmuseum Niederösterreich has been collecting objects from natural history ever since its foundation in 1911. The first entries in the inventory were made in 1915. The collection partly owes its diversity to the fact that the collection manager also supervised the former satellite institutions “Afrikamuseum” in Bad Deutsch-Altenburg and Marchegg, “Jagdmuseum” in Marchegg, and “Donau- und Fischereimuseum” in Petronell and Orth an der Donau.
The Collection/Main Emphasis
Due to the sheer range of objects, the “Nature Studies” collection of the State Collections of Lower Austria is highly diverse. Cultural-historical and art-historical objects take their place next to zoological, botanical, and geological objects in the collection holdings. The collection’s focal points include entomology and paleontology. Furthermore, the curatorial department has amassed a sizeable collection of taxidermic specimens, particularly birds, some of which are of considerable historical interest. The collection of historical photographs, initiated by Günther Schlesinger in the 1930s and later continued by Lothar Machura and Augustin Meisinger, is also significant. An extensive library features special literature customized to the collection holdings.
The curatorial department “Nature Studies” regularly publishes on its holdings as well as on current research and exhibition projects.
- “Wissenschaftliche Mitteilungen aus dem Niederösterreichischen Landesmuseum” publication series