Department Art Before 1960
Mag. Wolfgang Krug
Office of the Provincial Government of Lower Austria, Department of Arts and Culture
Kulturdepot, Schanze 5, 3100 St. Pölten
Alexandra Leitzinger (registry)
Julia Rennhofer (library)
Lukas Stolz (library)
Sandra Weissenböck (administration)
Susanne Wöhrer (administration)
Medieval and Baroque works were the core objects for the presentation “Ecclesiastical Art” at the Landesmuseum Niederösterreich, which reopened in 1911. Rather than placing its emphasis on art production in the province itself, the museum was to focus on topics that had special relevance for Lower Austria in terms of cultural history and identity formation. It was only after the Second World War that the Landesmuseum began to establish a decidedly historical art collection in order to document and present art creation in Lower Austria.
The Collection/Main Emphasis
The “Art Before 1960” collection of the State Collections of Lower Austria comprise artworks spanning a period of more than eight hundred years—paintings, works on paper, sculptures, and artisan objects from all periods from the Middle Ages to 1960. Special mention should be made of the paintings and graphic works from the Biedermeier period, the so-called “Plankenberger Kreis,” or the thematic focus on the Wachau valley. Noteworthy artistic oeuvres are those of Friedrich Gauermann, comprising more than sixty paintings, Emil Jakob Schindler, with about twenty paintings, Anton Hanak, with about 240 sculptural works, Egon Schiele, with more than forty works, or Broncia Koller-Pinell, with about eighty works.
Due to routine acquisitions through an artist grants program, the collection now contains notable paintings, graphic works, and sculptures from 1945 to 1960. This part of the collection is distinguished from the “Art After 1960” collection based on the artists’ main creative phases.
An extensive library features special literature customized to the collection holdings.
The curatorial department “Art Before 1960” provides ample opportunities for scientific research. Reviewing the collection’s focal points and publishing the results—processes thus far carried out within the framework of thematic exhibitions at the Landesmuseum Niederösterreich—are given a new platform at the Landesgalerie Niederösterreich in Krems.